An experiment in the creative portion of my brain to journey down that road where turning back is not an option. I need to find an avenue for my thoughts, dreams, and fantasies to escape out of my head...and perhaps they'll entertain you in the process.

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Valentine's Date

I went shopping yesterday and I bought a nice red dress.  I have a beautiful butterfly broach to wear with it and a scarf that matches perfectly.  I also bought a nice red flower pin to wear in my hair.  I normally don't go all out like this, but I have a special date with my man this evening. Afterall, today is Valentine's Day and I can't wait for my date with Charles.

All I can think about these days is Charles and the next time I get to see him.  My stomach does flip flops just thinking of him.  The way his eyes dance when I speak to him and the cute way he looks at me as if I were the prettiest thing he has ever seen.  Of course, he'll probably really love what I am wearing for him this evening.  I can harldy contain my excitement.

I spend most of the afternoon, laying out my wardrobe, finding the perfect pair of shoes from my closet to wear with my newly bought dress.  I pick out the correct shade of lipstick to match my skintone. And I make sure I wear his favorite perfume.  He bought me a bottle of Este Lauder for Christmas a few years back. I wear it for him on special days like today.  I have to be ready when it is time to put it all on, because afterall, today is Valentine's Day and I can't wait for my date with Charles.

I look out the window, like a school girl does on her first date. I make sure I can get my car out of the driveway and I head out to warm it up.  I come back in and turn off a few lights and leave a few on.  I hear the familiar chimes of the Grandfather clock in the den.  I begin to smile because it is finally time to leave for my date with Charles.

I walk into the lobby and up to the desk.  I let them know I am here to see Charles.  They tell me he is waiting for me in the dining room. I thank the man and I smile.  I hurry down the hall but I quickly stop in the ladies room on the way and make sure that nothing is out of place.  My anxiety level is riding high, my heart has placed a lump in my throat.  I will soon see the love of my life and I must look absolutely perfect, because afterall, today is Valentine's Day and I can't wait for my date with Charles.

I walk into the dining room.  Someone points the way to my table.  I try to slow my step, but I can hardly contain myself.  I walk past a post and around the corner and I see my Charles at our table.  My eyes well up with tears and I'm wearing my smile from ear to ear.  "There you are, my dear." I greet him with a kiss.  He looks at me with his deep blue eyes and I give him a hug.  "How are you today?" I ask softly in his ear.  His reply doesn't come. He nods his head as if to be polite but he doesn't recognize me today.  He no longer knows who I am.  The nurse says to me, "It isn't one of Charles' better days, Mrs. Falkner. You sure do look nice, though.  Enjoy your meal." 

Naturally, I am a bit let down.  I was hoping this Valentine's Day would have been like all the previous ones we celebrated together.  It was a chance I took, getting all dressed up for my Charles.  Had this been a good day for him, he might have remembered and he would have really appreciated seeing me all dolled up.  I have to fight off the little voice that keeps asking me why the hell I even bothered, but as I look at my Charles, and recall all the good years we had together,  I know I did it out of love.  If he could give me the best years of his life...I could certainly give him the best years of mine. Besides, today is Valentine's Day and truthfully, I couldn't wait to spend it with my Charles.



This is my contribution to BFF 85.  If you enjoy blogging and would like a challenge, consider joining the facebook group here. 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Jenn, this is a beautifully sad story that truly depicts what true love is all about. As we get older, it is something that could happen to anyone
of us. It surely doesn't change the love we feel for that person, or them happy memories that were shared.
Well done.

Kathy
http://www.thetruckerswife.com/

Courtin Fantasy said...

Thanks Kathy for your kind words. I think ultimately true love withstands all. <3

Anonymous said...

Awww...I love this! It's so pretty, and true. Awesome job (as usual sweetie)!! xoxox

Courtin Fantasy said...

Thanks Jewell!!

(((TWIN)))

Love ya, Jenn.

Post a Comment